To PSEO or Not to PSEO?

Hi friends!!!

Sorry it's been so long! I've been a little preoccupied with various college things...aka trying to figure out where I want to hang out for the next four years or so. I was going to give myself the last few weeks and then get back to blogging, but 1) I got nothing figured out and 2) because of the prior point I didn't think I had any right to write about advice related things. Did I get anything figured out? Nope :)

Anyhow, how was everyone's break? As always, feel free to contact us with any stories, or to tell us about your plans for next year (if you're a senior)!

So, onto real business. The next round of PSEOers will be joining the family soon!!! Even though I am no longer allowed to advise on college related things, I can still advise on PSEO-related things. It's one of the best decisions I've made yet and I think I know the ins and outs of the system better than most people. And plus, my little sister is planning on applying to be part time PSEO at a community college and my brother is also PSEO, so I would say I keep pretty updated on the topic.

The question is then, to do it or to not? (disclaimer: this is just what I think, you are free to consider as much or as little of these points as you want to :)

Do PSEO if...
  • You are running out of AP/other college credit options. I know my high school allowed you to take classes online if in-person versions were not offered, but that's just icky. Just come do PSEO! I promise that basically anything is better than an online college credit class. Not that I'm biased because of one awful experience... *cough cough AP Stats cough*
  • You don't care for high school and their way of teaching. This is similar to the first reason, but different enough that it warrants its own note. My AP experience can be summed up in one word: tedious. There were enough AP options for me that I could've stayed another year in high school if I wanted, but honestly I strongly disliked AP. To me, the material was interesting enough, but it seemed like there was a lot of busy-work. Something I could've learned in a couple of days was given a week plus several worksheets and entire chapters of reading and lectures. College goes at a quicker pace while also giving you more depth into the topics, and for some faster/more independent learners, it's a fantastic option.
  • You just don't like high school. This is pretty self-explanatory. Other than my high school being a bit mundane and sheltered, I had no serious problems with it nor the people in my town, so I guess I was blessed in this way. However, I have met people who just flat out hated high school and wanted out. PSEO provides a way out earlier that is much more practical than dropping out altogether. Plus, you might find the people that you couldn't in high school at college. Here, everyone is encouraged to be themselves, and no matter how geeky or nerdy or alternative or hipster, you'll find your people.
  • You want reliable college credit. AP credit acceptance policies varies by college, but *most* colleges will accept PSEO credit, especially those from the U. There has been discussion on whether your grades in those classes transfer with you if you go somewhere else for real college, but I don't believe they do. If you end up attaining the U, the grades stay with you and you can get a head start on building a solid GPA if you got good grades through PSEO. Do keep in mind that when you apply to college, PSEO can sometimes make the process more complicated (trust me, I know lol). Some colleges have a cap on how many credits can be transferred for a specific major or minor so make sure to check those before you commit!!!
  • You want to expand your horizons. The U is a place of great diversity and variety. There have been few restaurants I've been to more than once. There have been few people I've had in my classes consistently. This may sound sad, but I find it pretty awesome. Having a steady friend group is an amazing support structure to have, and I do have many friends I keep in touch with. However, not having them in my classes pushes me to meet new people and I have met so many people from many different backgrounds, it's truly amazing. Being in this kind of environment, you become much more open-minded and learn a lot about life, whether you are in class or not.
Don't PSEO if...
  • You plan on being in a lot of activities at your high school. This is something my family has discussed extensively with my little sister. The truth is that very rarely do PSEO kids get the best schedules because of our late registration times. You can still get the classes you want, but you might have to make some sacrifices, e.g. later classes, early classes, have to be on campus everyday, etc. If you plan on being in a lot of activities at your high school, you will have to plan very carefully. It's doable, I do it, but it will be very difficult for you if you live in the suburbs like I do and have a long commute. You can consider part-time, but again, the commute/time commitment has to be taken into consideration. For example, is it worth it to drive an hour one way to get to campus just for one class three times a week?
  • You are not an independent learner. There are a lot of resources to help you succeed on campus, but you still have to be an independent learner at the end of the day. The profs will not baby you, and it's up to you to handle the work load and to know when to seek help. Be your own advocate. There will be very little graded homework, and no one will be checking in to see if you've done your work. You have to have a certain level of self-discipline and keep yourself on track. This also extends to study techniques. Can you study effectively and make the most of your time? Of course, no one was born a natural at all of this. It comes with practice. The key is that you have to be open to learning it. If your mindset is right, the rest will follow.
  • You have absolutely no idea what you want to major in. PSEO credit is obviously still college credit and will be helpful toward anything, but if you are expecting to graduate earlier due to PSEO credit, you really should have an idea of what you want to major in. If you just take whatever classes you want without any idea of how they could help you in your future major, those credits will be highly unlikely to help you skip ahead. The more you can narrow down what you want to major in, the better you can focus your PSEO credits and the better off you'll be when you go to college. I would say, try to get it narrowed down to within a college. For example, "I don't know what I want to do specifically, but I really heavily love math and science and want to major in something in CSE."
  • You have no interest in starting college early and feel that you still have lots to gain from high school. College credit is great, but pushing yourself to do something before you're ready is not always a great idea, especially if you have no interest in that something. For many of us, the transition to PSEO is rough and if you really don't want to be here, it will be a million times worse. PSEO requires sacrifices as well, in time, in energy, in stress levels (lol). I personally find PSEO easier than AP, but it takes up a lot more time overall because of the commuting and the self-learning. It's a lot to commit to if you feel like you aren't ready for it. There is no shame in going back to high school either! If you try PSEO for a week or two and decide that there is no way you'll adapt to it, then go back. Wherever you are, it's where your heart is that matters most. You will get nothing from PSEO if you miss high school so much that you can focus on nothing else.
I will leave you all with one last tidbit. To me, there are two types of fear. One is because you are actually not ready and have a reason to fear, the other is because it's something you've never done before, not necessarily because you aren't ready for it. When I first started PSEO, I was terrified, terrified of failing, of not having any friends, of committing to something I wasn't ready for. I thought I was feeling the first kind of fear and it made my transition to PSEO that much harder. The reality was, I was feeling the second kind. I was ready to move on from high school, but the thought of college intimidated me so much that I thought I would utterly fail, regardless of my high academic performance in previous high school courses. When I visited one of the colleges I am currently considering for the first time, it was the first time I had seriously considered a college out of state, to a place where I would start over. I compared that to the campus here, a place where I have attended and known for so long, and I felt a shot of fear. But it wasn't the first fear. It was fear tinged with excitement, because I knew deep down that it was an opportunity for growth, and while maybe it won't be easy at first, I'll make it work.

The key to overcoming your fears is to identify which one you are feeling. The first kind is more of an instinct - a sense of self-preservation. The second is the kind that will hold you back from reaching your full potential if you let it. Don't let it. Acknowledge what you are afraid of, and see which one it is. No one can tell you other than yourself.

PSEO is a great opportunity, and has helped me grow so much more independent over the last several years. I have built friendships that I hope will last a lifetime and have met more wonderful people than I could count. I came into this program a self-conscious girl and I will graduate a self-confident woman because I have learned the meaning of sacrifice and resilience through this program. If you want something, you have to go for it. Nothing embodies that more than PSEO. Please don't let that second kind of fear stop you from pursuing this opportunity - it's worth all the work and time that you put in along the way.

Here are some complimentary memes! (Plus some extras as an apology for not blogging in so long :)








Do you ever just look at the memes you've had for so long and crack up all over again? Just me? Okay... lol.

Spread the link to this post if you have friends applying to PSEO!!! Even if I'm not helpful, the memes always are :)

Hope you lovely people all have a great week! Hang in there, we're almost done!!!

Much love,
~ Tempest

Comments

Popular Posts